Re: off-topic?

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: off-topic?
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 00:00:11 +0200

James D <nospam@please.no> writes:

> Lute Kamstra wrote:
>
>> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>>
>>> I often see people posting to newsgroups messages that include some
>>> bold, underlined or italic characters in the body of their text(?)
>>> messages. I use emacs as my external editor in kmail. How could I do
>>> the same?
>>
>> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
>> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
>>
>> Lute.
>
> Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
> mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
> easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
> James D

You asked how you could write the bold, underlined and italic text in
Emacs.  The writing part can, of course, be done by any editor.
Displaying words marked as such must be supported by the mail or news
reader.  I was under the impression that most did support this system,
but I don't know that many mail/news readers.  I use Gnus, which is a
combined mail and news reader written in Emacs Lisp.  It gives me one
reason less to leave Emacs.  Gnus supports this underlining and such.
It's also quite easy to use.  Once you have set it up right, that is.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "counter terrorism Compsec Armani"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")