Re: Why I cannot byte-compile epop3mail.el?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Why I cannot byte-compile epop3mail.el?
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 19:39:34 +0200

Hongzheng Wang <wanghz02@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

>   According to the commentary in epop3mail.el, I installed elib and
> then copy epop3mail.el, biff-mode.el, epop3hash.el and a patched pop3.el
> to my emacs directory, ie, /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/gnus/

That's not a good directory.  Is there a directory
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp?  Choose that.  Type C-h v load-path RET
for a more comprehensive list of candidate directories.

The reason the above is not a good directory is the fact that the
directory will be gone when you upgrade Emacs.  And so you'd have to
install the files again.

>   But when I byte-compile epop3mail.el, a error occured:
>   Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
>
>   I have try to setq max-specpdl-size to a larger value, but it doesn't
> work and result in a different error:
>   Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth
>
>   I'm a newbie to elisp, so I have to post this article here. Can you
> help me with this problem?

Try increasing max-lisp-eval-depth, too.  Only if raising both to
real large values doesn't help, then there is a real problem.

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)