Junk characters in Emacs shell buffer

From: Craig Jennings
Subject: Junk characters in Emacs shell buffer
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 01:59:52 GMT

Hi All,

Whenever I switch to the shell in Emacs and list files, I see junk
characters before the file names. I'm a bit of a Unix newbie and am
guessing that this has to do with colors that Emacs isn't interpreting
correctly.

For instance:

[Sat May  3 06:39pm] MadPenguin : ~/projects/wordguess
$ ls
CVS  fileio.cpp  fileio.h  makefile
#test.cpp#  test.cpp  wordguess.cpp  words.txt

[Sat May  3 06:39pm] MadPenguin : ~/projects/wordguess
$

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get rid of the junk
characters?

Thanks,

-- Craig