Suggestion to BK

From: Ajanta
Subject: Suggestion to BK
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 18:54:50 GMT

BK <bk_usenet@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> wrote in message
> > Andrew Choi <akochoi_NOSPAM_@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > So I'll not respond to his questions.  People asking for help should
> > > have basic manners.
> >
> > OTOH you may wish to also consider that threads like this are read and
> > followed not just the original poster but also hundreds or even
> > thousands of individuals, more if we count those who might access it on
> > Google. Strong language used on the net is not always a personal attack
> > on anyone, it is just to get attention in a crowded chaotic place. Just
> > a thought.
>
> Thank you for making that point...

The point that I made in this and other post was that people who
perform public service should (1) expect all kind of reactions, (2) not
take any of them personally, and (3) regard their answers as addressed
not just to any specific questioner but to thousands of people who may
read the thread over time.

That is not meant as a defence of your choice of words or attitude. The
most charitable take would be that you did not address them to a
specific individual, were hoping to catch the attention of someone who
is knowledgeable but otherwise uninvolved, and didn't expect that
someone connected with the work would be reading you. However, all of
us should remember that people who are interested enough in Macs/Emacs
to work on such projects are also likely to be following these few
newsgroups.

Let me make a suggestion to you in three parts:

(1) Back off from this debate. Don't argue or explain anymore.

(2) Reflect on how defensive you are feeling when someone criticizes a
post you probably spent no more than 15-20 minutes typing. Then think
how your words may feel to someone who has worked on a project for
weeks and months.

(3) You may just have ended up with a "crippled" copy of Emacs, for
whatever reason. So, download a fresh copy, read the manual, look at
your own .emacs to see if *it* is crippling your Emacs. If there are
still problems, make another post.