Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 19:42:09 GMT

In article <u3cjpucsv.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>,
Oliver Scholz  <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote:
>bk_usenet@yahoo.co.uk (BK) writes:
>
>> Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote ...
>[...]
>>> I set a Follow-up to alt.religion.emacs in my first post to this
>>> particular subthread. If you hadn't ignored it, we would discuss this
>>> now in the proper forum.
>>
>> Would you care to explain this?
>>
>> First, all I can see is "gnu.emacs.help" and "comp.sys.mac.apps", so I
>> don't really understand what you mean by "follow up set to
>> alt.religion.emacs"
>
>I have not crossposted to alt.religion.emacs. Maybe that was a
>mistake. I have added the line "Follow-up: alt.religion.emacs" to the
>header of my post. This Follow-up header is supposed to cause a
>recipient's newsreader to post follow-ups to a different newsgroup. I
>believe that this is some RFC standard, but I don't know for sure. It
>is common practise in many of the newsgroups I read to use this to
>change the group if a discussion has become off-topic or is supected
>to become off-topic. It is common to add line like "Follow up set to
>..." or "F'up to: ..." to one's post to indicate to silent readers
>that follow-ups are expected to appear in a different group.

It seems like bad practice to direct followups to a group not in the
original list.  The replies will show up there, but the original message to
which they refer will not, so the readers of that group will find it
confusing.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA