Re: linux compile fails on sys_error / stdio.h incompatible

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: linux compile fails on sys_error / stdio.h incompatible
Date: 09 May 2003 17:10:00 +0200

Hi Maureen,

"Maureen Woodyard" <mew@azulsystems.com> writes:
> The problem appears to be the stdio.h in /usr/include defines
> strerror differently from movemail.c. If I compile without movemail,
> it just fails with a similar error on emacsclient.

My point is that neither movemail nor emacsclient should define
strerror() at all.  It is part of the runtime library and there is no
reason to replace it.  Which is probably why these definitions don't
fit with the runtime definitions, they were never intended to do that.

Both definitions of the function in movemail.c and in emacsclient.c
are surrounded by "#ifndef HAVE_STRERROR".  This define should be set
by the configure script on Linux when it finds the function in the
compiler runtime.

You need to find out, why this doesn't work in your setup, e.g. by
looking at config.log.  You may also be able just to set the define
yourself in some option to temporarily get around this, but that
wouldn't get at the root of the problem.

I wrote befiore:
>       b) Investigate why configure doesn't find strerror() in the
>       system headers.  It does on my machine here, as it should and
>       if it finds that, it shouldn't try to use it's own version.  I
>       admit my machine is linux-ppc, not i386.

Hope this helps, benny