Re: A few simple questions

From: Jonas Steverud
Subject: Re: A few simple questions
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 08:50:18 +0200

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a few simple questions to ask about Emacs. They are so simple,
> yet it seems that I can't find them in the manual and FAQ:
>
> 1. How can I do something like f command in vi? When I'm looking at a
>    line, I want to move to a charater, say 'a'. How can I do something
>    like "fa" in Emacs, and how to I repeat this command to go to
>    following a's?

Since I never used the eVIl one I don't know exactly what f pretends
to do, but according to your description, I would say to look for
isearch-forward in Emacs. That is; C-s a to look for the next a and
then repeat with C-s. C-r is the same but backwards.

See the info node Searching and Replacement in Emacs' info file.
C-h i d m emacs RET g search RET

> 3. How do I change DOS lineend file into UNIX lineend file quickly? I
>    don't like to C-x RET c ....-unix C-x C-f...!

Do you want to do that for all your files, i.e. forever, or for some
files?

--
(         http://hem.bredband.net/steverud        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )