Re: A few simple questions

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: Re: A few simple questions
Date: 10 May 2003 16:15:07 +0200

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:
>
> > Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a few simple questions to ask about Emacs. They are so simple,
> > > yet it seems that I can't find them in the manual and FAQ:
> > >
> > > 1. How can I do something like f command in vi? When I'm looking at a
> > >    line, I want to move to a charater, say 'a'. How can I do something
> > >    like "fa" in Emacs, and how to I repeat this command to go to
> > >    following a's?
> > C-s a
> > for repeated searches just type C-s  again
>
> I don't mean that. I want something faster that doesn't need
> interaction.
Well how should one now for what you are looking without interaction?
and it is the opposite of what you write "how to I repeat this
command", which means you interact with the System

> > > 2. How do I move like "W" in vi. That is, move to the next white space
> > >    delimited "Word"?
> > M-f alternatively for more word C-u 3 M-f
>
> I mean how can I jump over something like "emacs-21.2.tar.gz" as a
> whole, not as 5 words. I want to jump to the next white space.
Well emacs things a dot is the end of a word which seems to be a very
reasonable assumption, if you dont't think so than modify the syntax
table to your liking e.g exclude the . or use forward-whitepace

Regards
Friedrich