Re: Chinese characters support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:58:30 +0300

> Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 01:17:25 +0900 (JST)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com>
>
> I should be pointed out, nonetheless, that it is a bad idea to
> cite the hello file as an example of international script functionality,
> since it is set in an encoding that virtually no one ever uses (at least in
> the CJK world)

It is certainly useful to see whether Emacs is set up correctly for
its non-ASCII support, including coding systems, fonts, and other
facilities.  Whether other software understands the way that file was
encoded is irrelevant for this.

> Someone should either get rid of that file or save it in a
> relevant encoding.

Until Emacs supports the full range of Unicode characters, the
encoding used now to save etc/HELLO is about _the_only_ one that can
do the job.  Let me remind you that in the released versions of Emacs,
only a subset of the BMP is supported.