Re: Chinese characters support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 06:32:32 +0300

> Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 11:11:48 +0900 (JST)
> From: Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com>
>
> Eli wrote:
>
> > If you read the archives of this forum (and of gnu.emacs.bug), you
> > will see that it's been recommended _a_lot_.
> >
> > > It is not my purpose to badmouth Emacs handling of Unicode.
> >
> > However, you've actually done precisely that.
>
> All I'm trying to do, as a person who does a lot of work with CJK and utf-8
> is point out something that can be done a little better. I can't understand
> why you guys can't simply say "hmm.. perhaps this is something we should
> look into." What's the big deal?

Is anything but complete acceptance of your opinions going to convince
you that we know what we are talking about?

Look, all I was trying to do, as a person who did some work in this
area for Emacs, and as someone who does get to answer lots of
questions about this, is to tell you that etc/HELLO _is_ useful, and
that the last thing I'd expect Emacs maintainers to do is to remove
it.  Why cannot you accept that?

It goes without saying that in a Unicode Emacs, the one that will have
its internal representation of characters based on Unicode codepoints,
HELLO will be recoded, either in that internal representation or in
UTF-8.  But until that happens, I don't see any reason to recode it.