Re: Chinese characters support

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: 14 May 2003 22:07:05 +0100

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Why not include UTF-8 characters in the HELLO file?  I gather that
> iso-2022 is general enough to also allow using UTF-8 as one of the
> encodings it supports.

compound-text-with-extensions does, but not pure iso-2022 AFAIK.
Anyway, HELLO is in emacs-mule encoding, which is a 16-bit encoding
based on iso-2022, so only supports a certain fixed number of
character sets (most iso-2022 based encodings only support 2 or 3
character sets).  CVS Emacs does contain some unicode text in HELLO,
but only a subset of Unicode is supported without conversion (hence
the existence of `utf-translate-cjk-mode' which causes the large
translation tables to be loaded).