Re: Understanding Emacs and Tabs

From: Eric Pement
Subject: Re: Understanding Emacs and Tabs
Date: 16 May 2003 11:56:42 -0700

"Paul D. Smith" <psmith@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:<p5n0i0vupt.fsf@lemming.engeast.baynetworks.com>...
> You should probably point out that, regardless of the mode or other
> settings, you can always insert an actual TAB character by first typing
> C-q  as in:
>
>   C-q TAB

That's a good reminder. I've added that to the page, and will post
the updated version on my website within a week.

> You should probably also mention the "*-tab-always-indent" variables;
> for example c-tab-always-indent.  I set this (and its brethren in
> various other programming modes) to nil and that works much better for
> me than the default setting of t.

The reason I didn't mention it is that I haven't played with it
enough to really understand how it works (the documentation in
the source code notwithstanding). I'll take a stab at it, and
then incorporate my best understanding into the next version.
Thanks!

--
Eric Pement