Re: Encodings in Emacs.

From: Nacho
Subject: Re: Encodings in Emacs.
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:23:41 GMT

Hello Oliver

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> On the left side of the modeline there is a small indicator that is
> meant to tell the file encoding of the current buffer. For example
> for UTF-8 its is "u", for Latin-1 it is "1". You could look at that.
>
> Or you could look at the value of the variable
> `buffer-file-coding-system' with `C-h v'.

Thanks. it was what I was looking for ;) I found te modeline a little
confusing. Right now it is --1=:**-F1, I suppose that I should read
more manuals ;)

> When visiting a file, Emacs decodes that file into its internal
> encoding `emacs-mule'. Emacs encodes this internal format then again,
> when writing out the contents of the buffer. So when you do `C-x RET
> f' (`set-buffer-file-coding-system') you don't change the encoding of
> the buffer, you only tell Emacs to use another encoding when writing
> the contents of the buffer out.

Yes, I noticed that.

> So the only way to get what you want is to tell Emacs which coding
> system it should use to read that file *before* Emacs visits it. You
> can do this with `C-x RET c'. For example:
> `C-x RET c shift_jis RET C-x f your-file.txt RET'

Great! now I can open the .txt files both in EUC-JP and ShiftJIS
without problems, thans.

> But cautiion: I am not familiar with the encodings you mentioned, but
> I think when you have a file with several encodings you will break
> the parts with the "other" encodings, when you save that file.

It works fine. It doesnt do auto-detection, but I am used to the
"garbage" I get if I miss the coding, it looks different and I can
reopen the files with the right format.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.