Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:54:16 +0000 (UTC)

In article <baa3fs$1tcp$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
Akop Pogosian  <akopps+usenet@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>In comp.unix.solaris David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>> []  emacs: 21.3: 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5";  got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?
>
>> (four questions)
>
>> Here's the original message I got while "making" emacs-21.2:
>
>>   ld.so.1: ./temacs: fatal: libXaw3d.so.5: open failed: No such file or
>> directory
>
>If you're compiling emacs from source (that means you should have
>compiled temacs, whatever it is, from source too), supposedly your
>linker should have managed to find the location of the libXaw3d
>library. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten temacs executable file in
>the first place. This means that this shared library file already

No, I doubt it.

What's that command -- ah, "nm".  I'll try that in a min,
after  posting this.

("ld" man-page needs to add "nm" to its "see also"!)

>exists somewhere on your system but the run time-linker can not find
>it. The proper way to fix this is to make sure that when you compile
>emacs that -R<path to the library directory> flag is passed to the
>linker when linking the emacs binaries.

  Silly question, maybe, but why not just another -L<...>
 after the LDFLAGS= ?

I haven't compiled emacs
>recently, so I don't remember what needs to be done to make this
>happen. Typically, setting the LDFLAGS='-R/something/something/lib"
>environment variable works, sometimes you need to pass this ld flag as
>an option to the configure script, and finally, you can edit the
>generated Makefile(s) after running configure.
>
>As for installing Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz, extract the tar archive and then
>look at the files with names that might suggest that they contain
>installation instructions (e.g. README, INSTALL, etc) and see what
>they say.

Wonderful!  Unfortunately, as shown in OP, there is NEITHER a README
nor an INSTALL, nor anything else!   HELP!

There is no standard way to compile things from source.

>Tinkering with source packages is useful for learning how to build
>unix software but in lots of cases I'd also settle for precompiled
>packages (specially if a copy of emacs and a few other standard
>package is all that you need). Solaris 8 and 9 companion CDs contain a
>copy of emacs

Right.  Unfortunately, it's 21.2.1.  *Full* of bugs and
other difficulties (maybe "features"); nontheless, I
read on the emacs groups that 21.3 is a whole lot better.

and you can also download emacs packages from sites like
>www.sunfreeware.org or www.blastwave.org.

Last time I looked, was 21.2.1.

QUESTION: who keeps those sites  up-to-date?  Email addrs?

Thanks!

David

PS:  HELP!