Re: backspace/del/C-h confusion between emacs -nw & emacs X11

From: Balaji Venkataraman
Subject: Re: backspace/del/C-h confusion between emacs -nw & emacs X11
Date: 20 May 2003 12:27:39 -0700

On Tue, 20 May 2003 14:25:09 +0200, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann)
wrote:

> From a shell, invoke cat.  Then hit C-v <backspace> and then hit C-v
> C-h.  I'm guessing that you will see that both print ^H on the
> screen.

Kai...spot on! Yes...they both produce ^H.

> If the two print the same thing, then you need to reprogram your
> terminal to produce different things.  I suggest that you make
> <backspace> produce ^? (that's ascii 127, also known as DEL).

The only way I could get it to work:
I swapped my <backspace> and <delete> keys (as below):
My keyboard is - Sun Microsystems Type 5/PC (OpenWindows; US)
keycode 0x32 =  Delete
keycode 0x49 =  BackSpace

Now emacs works fine, both X11 and "-nw", but I have to live with "C-h"
being the backspace at the shell (<backspace> is backspace within emacs).

I'd like to be able to do <backspace> at the shell and have it behave like
backspace. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Balaji.
--
Remember 2 + 2 = 5, for large values of 2