Re: global-set-key [?\ M-ö]

From: Martin aus Chemnitz
Subject: Re: global-set-key [?\ M-ö]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 08:41:22 +0100

>> I use
>>   GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-windows98.2222)
>> and tried to bind a function to a German Umlaut key in my .emacs
>> file, but
>>   (global-set-key  [?\M-ö] 'forward-word)
>> did not work. There was no error message, but no binding as well.

> I have the same problem with binding C-æ. It was discussed here
> recently - it is probably a bug in Emacs 21.3, Jesper Harder filed
> a bug report AFAIK.

Thank you (both).

It wasn't this bug, but your recent posting quickly led me to the
solution:
  ;-*-unibyte: t;-*-

I would suggest that an appropriate note should be added to the FAQ
question
  10.3 Why doesn't this [terminal or window-system setup] code work
  in my `.emacs' file, but it works just fine after Emacs starts up?

Martin