Re: Make CVS default revision controller

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Re: Make CVS default revision controller
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:29:52 GMT

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> How do you go about setting up an `empty' repository?

>From the cvs info file:
   For a new project, the easiest thing to do is probably to create an
empty directory structure, like this:

     $ mkdir tc
     $ mkdir tc/man
     $ mkdir tc/testing

   After that, you use the `import' command to create the
   corresponding
(empty) directory structure inside the repository:

     $ cd tc
     $ cvs import -m "Created directory structure" yoyodyne/DIR yoyo
     start

   Then, use `add' to add files (and new directories) as they appear.

   Check that the permissions CVS sets on the directories inside
`$CVSROOT' are reasonable.

> All I want is to put .emacs, .gnus etc under CVS now that I am more
> confident using it. And do this without importing the entire ${HOME}
> directory structure. A work around I have thought is to ln -s these files
> to others in a config/ But that will not fix the problem when in
> another directory I want to CVS just one file in that directory?

I would reccomend just using RCS if you want that.  CVS is a bit picky
sometimes and RCS offers most of the same features (CVS was built off
of RCS initially).  Instead of storing in CVSROOT it just puts the
version files in ./RCS directories, and provides full merging, version
diffing, branching, etc.  Don't throw away old tools just so you can
use trendy software when won't even need 10% of the features it
provides.

If you are convinced you need CVS I would reccomend reading the info
docs and googling for "The CVS Book". CVS is a bit of black magic and
you need to read up on how to use it before you can really get
anything out of it.

> Am I being really thick or something, educate me and help the others,
> please.

Nope, not thick.  Just need to do a bit of reading :)

--
burton samograd
kruhft@kruhft.dyndns.org