Re: Make CVS default revision controller

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Make CVS default revision controller
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:22:21 +0200

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Niels Freimann <nfreimann@firemail.de> writes:
>>
>>> the problem is that vc uses rcs if the directory is NOT under CVS
>>> control. If there is a chance to change this "behavior" to CVS
>>> please let me know.
>>
>> Why is this a problem?  For CVS, you have to create a repository,
>> first.  Then you have to create a working directory.  Then you can
>> add files from inside that working directory.
>>
>> So you can't add a random file to CVS anyway.
>
> So then, let us rephrase the question:
>
> How do you go about setting up an `empty' repository?

"cvs -d /your/repository/setting init"

You can use M-x shell RET or M-! to run this command under Emacs.

> All I want is to put .emacs, .gnus etc under CVS now that I am more
> confident using it. And do this without importing the entire ${HOME}
> directory structure. A work around I have thought is to ln -s these files
> to others in a config/

That is the right solution.

> But that will not fix the problem when in another directory I want
> to CVS just one file in that directory?

Please also use the symlink trick in that case.

> Am I being really thick or something, educate me and help the others,
> please.

CVS just works this way.  You create a so-called workspace (AKA
working directory) where you edit your files.  CVS does allow you to
ignore some files in the workspace (often used for *.o, for
instance).  But in general, it assumes that it owns the workspace.

If you want to put a single file under version control, use RCS or
SCCS.

--
This line is not blank.