elisp byte compilation problem

From: Javier Oviedo
Subject: elisp byte compilation problem
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:39:54 -0400

Hello all.

I have found some strange behavior when I compile certain elisp files and
then load them...

=============================
One example is clearcase.el. I have (require 'clearcase) in my .emacs file.
Without byte compiling everything works fine...meaning that I in the menubar
there is a clearcase menu that I can access without problem. As soon as I
byte compile, the clearcase menu disappears from the menu bar. I can't
explain this. I know very little about elisp and therefore need some help.

ctypes.el size is 260598
ctypes.elc size if 632  ==> something is wrong here.
=============================
Another example is with ctype.el. I have the following in my .emacs file:
  (require 'ctypes)
  (setq ctypes-write-types-at-exit t)
  (ctypes-read-file "C:/data/joviedo/Emacs/site-lisp_21_2/_ctypes" nil t t)
  (ctypes-auto-parse-mode 1)

When ctypes in not byte compiled, everything works fine. With ctypes byte
compiled I get the following error when I load a file...

File mode specification error: (void-function ctypes-read-file)
run-hooks: Symbol's function definition is void: ctypes-find-file-hook

ctypes.el size is 62607
ctypes.elc size if 814  ==> something is wrong here.

I am using Emacs 21.2 on WinXP

Thanks In Advance!

--
Javier