trouble writing a conditional, or with lambda

From: Florian von Savigny
Subject: trouble writing a conditional, or with lambda
Date: 24 May 2003 18:09:26 +0200

Sigh ...

some basic lisp, I'm afraid, but I did consult the manual and tested
in lisp-interaction-mode, but did not get any the wiser.

I'm trying to get a function to work differently depending on whether
emacs runs under X or on a terminal:

   (if (eq window-system nil)
       ; running under a terminal
       (lambda ()
               (split-window)
               (switch-to-buffer "*foo*")
               )
    ; running under a window system
    (lambda ()
             (select-frame (make-frame))
             (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 50 24)
             (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 150 120)
             ))

It seems that everything in the lambda expressions is ignored
(i.e. nothing happens).  I used these lambda expressions because
simply putting a body of functions got error messages about "Invalid
function"s. But it seems I don't get these right.

       (lambda (
                (split-window)
                (switch-to-buffer "*foo*")
               ))

also seems to be valid syntax, but is also ignored.

Can anybody help how to get this simple conditional to work?

--

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.