Re: global-set-key [?\ M-ö]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: global-set-key [?\ M-ö]
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:21:39 +0300

> From: Martin aus Chemnitz <MartinAusChemnitz@gmx.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 00:22:57 +0100
>
> Because the FAQ answers frequently asked questions.
>
> Because the description
>   10.3 Why doesn't this [terminal or window-system setup] code work
>   in my `.emacs' file, but it works just fine after Emacs starts up?
> was pretty much what I was expecting.

For some reason I refuse to understand, people nowadays expect to
find any piece of useful information in a FAQ.  While this might be a
good policy for many a software out there (since not many developers
bother to write good documentation for their programs), Emacs (and
GNU software in general) are not part of this plot.  Emacs developers
try very hard to put user-level information in the manual, and they
index that information in a way that is supposed to make it easy for
users to find it quickly.

Therefore, I suggest to always look in the manual first using the `i'
command.