Re: mode-line in emacs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: mode-line in emacs
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 20:45:13 +0200

James D <nospam@please.no> writes:

> Can someone explain what those end-of-line (dos, unix, mac, undecided)
> annotations in emacs mode-line mean? Let me put it more clearly: I know LF
> is the separation of lines convention for unix, CR for mac and CRLF for dos
> (CR=carriage return, LF=line feed) but still it is not obvious to me what
> exactly they mean and how they affect my files. I am writing a little book
> using LaTeX and some of my files are marked dos, others unix. Is the final
> output influenced by these options? Are they really options? How can I
> change them? Please educate me.

Each program deals differently with the input.  So there is no
general advice that people can give.

But it seems safe to say that on Unix, Unix line-endings are likely
to cause the fewest problems.

You can type C-x RET f unix RET, then save the buffer, to change the
EOL convention of a file to Unix.
--
This line is not blank.