Re: problem with editing/decoding utf-8 text

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: problem with editing/decoding utf-8 text
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:24:29 +0200

Fery <engard.ferenc@innomed.hu> writes:

>> You said that Emacs corrupted your files in some cases. Could you
>> please tell the exact steps to reproduce this with the file you sent?
>
> $ emacs test
>
> - type 'a' and then backspace
> - ^X^S
> - ^G
> - ^X^C
> - n
> - yes
>
> After that, 'test' is disappeared, and '#test#' contains a different
> file compared to the old test.

The autosave files (#test# is an autosave file) are saved in the
emacs-mule encoding, because we're sure that this encoding can
represent all characters that Emacs can represent.  Using any other
encoding (including UTF-8) may possibly lead to information loss.  At
least, it might have to ask the user, and you surely don't want
auto-saving to ask the user.
--
This line is not blank.