Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Irving Kimura
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:23:12 +0000 (UTC)

In <84brxlhvyx.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net
(=?iso-8859-1?q?Kai_Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:

>Irving Kimura <irving_kimura@lycos.com> writes:

>> That almost worked!  But ls hangs (in fact brings all of Emacs to
>> its knees) after printing the first line of files (in color,
>> though!).  As I said, Emacs at this point falls into a deep coma;
>> the only thing to do is to kill -9 the process.  What am I doing
>> wrong?

>Starting from "emacs -q -no-site-file", can you reproduce this?  If
>so, please make a bug report and describe how you reproduced the
>problem.

I can definitely reproduce the bug starting from "emacs -q
-no-site-file".  The problem seems to be confined to one machine,
though (when I tried the term command while Emacs was running on
a different host, ls and everything else worked normally), so I'm
not sure it is an Emacs bug.

I suppose that the problem with that machine has to do with to do with
the environment, but I have not being able to test this.  This is
because when I start from "emacs -q -nw -no-site-file" and try "M-x
term" with "/usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc" I get:

..: [: too many arguments
..: /usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc: No such file or directory
..: exec: /usr/bin/env -i /bin/bash --noprofile --norc: cannot execute: No such
file or directory

Process terminal exited abnormally with code 126

I'm not sure which files do not exist ("No such file or directory"),
since the only files mentioned definitely exist:

$ /bin/ls -l /bin/bash /usr/bin/env
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       511400 Apr  8  2002 /bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        10332 Jul 26  2001 /usr/bin/env

Similarly, when I start from "env -i emacs -q -nw -no-site-file" and
try "M-x term" with "/bin/bash --noprofile --norc" I get:

I get similar results if I start from

..: [: too many arguments
..: /bin/bash --noprofile --norc: No such file or directory
..: exec: /bin/bash --noprofile --norc: cannot execute: No such file or
directory

Process terminal exited abnormally with code 126

I this point I don't know what to do.  I can report this as an Emacs
bug, but I really don't think I have isolated the problem to Emacs.

        -Irv