Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?
Date: 01 Jun 2003 08:12:52 +0200

Jimmerr <jimkkREMOVEME@umich.edu> writes:

> If I use a different editor from emacs, what features will I be losing
> in terms of programming with gcc?

I don't know how you do it, but personnaly, I don't program with gcc.

I compile  my programs  with gcc or  with other compilers,  and that's
about all I ask them to do.

My programing is done with my  brains, my hands, a keyboard and a good
editor.  emacs is a good editor to edit programs, because it allows me
to  meta-program: to  write  lisp  programs to  generate  parts of  my
programs automatically.   If I used an  other editor, I  would have to
use a separate  lisp environment to generate my  programs, and I would
not have  all those nice editing  functions already built  in emacs to
modify/generate my programs.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.