Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:25:36 -0600

Tim X wrote:

I think you need to re-evaluate a bit how you do things. Everything
you need/want to do can be done very functionally from within emacs,
but you need to approach it in a different way. For example, instaed
of greping something and then passing ti to less,

Indeed, why do you need less when Emacs can scroll and search the output
for you?  (I set PAGER to cat in my .emacs_ksh file.)

just use M-x
shell-command (bound to M-!). You will be prompted for the shell
command and the output from that command will be ut into an emacs
buffer which you can page through just like other emacs buffers.

The OP may want to run the command from a *Shell* buffer because of its
context (current directory, environment variables, etc.).

If I know a command is going to generate a lot of output, I may narrow
the *Shell* buffer before running it so that moving to the top of the
buffer takes me to the beginning of the output (actually, the prompt and
the command itself).