Re: multithreading in Elisp?

From: Florian von Savigny
Subject: Re: multithreading in Elisp?
Date: 03 Jun 2003 15:14:00 +0200

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> You can do cooperative multitasking, MacOS-style, by using timers or
> process filters or the like.  (MacOS means before X.)

Do you have an (arbitrary) code example at hand? My imagination does
not reach far enough to implement commands that run in parallel by
means of a process filter (maybe you mean "outsourcing" the task that
is to run in the background with start-process?). I have no idea, on
the other hand, what a timer is (it doesn't have to do with the diary,
does it ... ?).

I would not really care whether the multitasking is preemptive or
cooperative, as long as the possibility is there at all. What I would
like to achieve is to have emacs retrieve some text from an external
program and write it in a different buffer, while it still allows the
user to edit his text.

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.