Re: [newbie] emacs flyspell not understands well accented chars

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: [newbie] emacs flyspell not understands well accented chars
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:52:23 +0200

Mario Giammarco <mgiammarco@nospam.supereva.it> writes:

> Oliver Scholz wrote:
>
>> Mario Giammarco <mgiammarco@nospam.supereva.it> writes:
>> [...]
>>> Me too I have done the same thing. when I do flyspell-mode it says error
>>> /usr/lib/ispell/italianx.hash not found.
>>
>> Please post the code that you added to you .emacs.
>>

> if I use this .emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'ispell-local-dictionary-alist
>              '("italianx"
>                "[[:alpha:]]"
>                "[^[:alpha:]]"
>                "[']" t
>                ("-C" "-d" "italian")
>                "~latin1" iso-8859-15))
>
> (setq ispell-dictionary "italianx")

Yeah, that's how it should look like.

> I obtain at the start of emacs this error: Symbol value as variable is void

This error message is about the symbol
`ispell-local-dictionary-alist', I presume?

Very, very strange, it seems to be preloaded on my Emacs. Does it
work, if you put a

(require 'ispell)

immediately before the `(add-to-list ... )'?

> So I modified to this .emacs:
>
> '(ispell-local-dictionary-alist
>              '("italianx"
>                "[[:alpha:]]"
>                "[^[:alpha:]]"
>                "[']" t
>                ("-C" "-d" "italian")
>                "~latin1" iso-8859-15))

Aah, I suspected something like that.

This expression is wrong. It doesn't give an error, of course, but in
fact it does absolutely nothing.

> (setq ispell-dictionary "italianx")
>
> Now emacs works but when I start flyspell I got:
>
> can't open /usr/lib/ispell/italianx.hash^M
[...]

That's because you have not really modified your dictionary-alist with
the expression you used. Unable to get advice from there how to deal
with "italianx", Emacs resorts to appending ".hash" to the value of
`ispell-dictionary' and hopes for the best. And fails.

Please, use the expression you posted first, the one which led to the
error message, but put a (require 'ispell) before it. We should try
to solve the problem indicated by the error message.

    Oliver
--
15 Prairial an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!