Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?

From: David S Goldberg
Subject: Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:14:38 -0400

Last week I upgraded our installation of Emacs from 20.7 to 21.3.  I'm
now hearing from some of my users that the code they used to display
Chinese text in 20.7 no longer works.  When they run this bit of code
(typically out of .emacs) they now get an error.

The error is:

error: "There's no room for a new private charset unicode-b"

Before I go about either rolling back our installation or (more
likely) providing this particular group their own installation of 20.7
I'm hoping someone can tell us how to correctly view Chinese text
under Emacs 21.3.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
Associate Department Head, G06A: Advanced Technical Computing Center