Re: Can't make emacs use utf-8?? (on WinXP)

From: Bjoern
Subject: Re: Can't make emacs use utf-8?? (on WinXP)
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:26:45 +0200

Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
[...]

But I can't seem to convert my existing files. If I convert them to
utf-8 (or mule-utf-8 ?) with C-x RET f utf-8 and save them, their
encoding is still 'undecided-dos' when I reopen them.
Are there any characters in those files that would need converting?

Sometimes. I guess I can with the current state now - if press some non-ASCII keys, the encoding switched to utf-8 immediately. It turned out the real problem was with my webserver (Tomcat) and the JSTL that refuse to set a UTF encoding.

[...]

However I tried writing a HelloWorld.java from scratch, and again it
didn't work.

Java files should be plain ASCII, if at all possible.  HTML files can
be in UTF-8, but than they should declare the encoding in a <meta>
element.

But wasn't Java the first programming language to promote Unicode? I haven't tried it yet, as untill yesterday I really stuck to ASCII.

[...]

I'm really confused - how can undecided-dos happen at all, if utf-8
is first in the priority list?

Good question.  I would expect that for plain ASCII, but you say that
a plain ASCII file got utf-8 assigned on opening, so that can't be it.

That's still puzzling me, but it's not so important at the moment.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Bjoern