Re: Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?

From: David S Goldberg
Subject: Re: Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:01:18 -0400

>> From: David S Goldberg <dsg@mitre.org>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:14:38 -0400
>>
>> The error is:
>>
>> error: "There's no room for a new private charset unicode-b"

> Search the etc/PROBLEMS file for an entry named "The `oc-unicode'
> package doesn't work with Emacs 21."

Well that clears that up :-)

>> I'm hoping someone can tell us how to correctly view Chinese text
>> under Emacs 21.3.

> How is the file with Chinese text encoded?

No idea.  I've forwarded these two messages to the users.  I'm hoping
one of them will jump in since I'm not enjoying the middle man role.

David> Last week I upgraded our installation of Emacs from 20.7 to
David> 21.3.  I'm now hearing from some of my users that the code
David> they used to display Chinese text in 20.7 no longer works.
David> When they run this bit of code (typically out of .emacs) they
David> now get an error.

>     Are you using mule-ucs package? You may need a patch for Emacs
>     21.3. Mule-ucs is needed to viewing chinese text, only if your
>     chinese text is encoded in utf-8 or utf-16. And for this instance, I
>     recommend you to grab the latest emacs from cvs intead.

If this is so then I'll still have build this group a separate
installation.  Offering up a CVS snapshot to my entire user community
is bad mojo.

--
Dave Goldberg
Associate Department Head, G06A: Advanced Technical Computing Center