comment delimiter in syntax table

From: carlos . conde
Subject: comment delimiter in syntax table
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:35:45 +0200

Hi all,

I'm writing a major mode for a script language and I need to declare in the
syntax table the comment delimiters. However, these comment delimiters are
4 character long: "<*--" to start comment, "--*>" to end comment, and it
seems that syntax table only accepts 2 char long comment delimiters (like
"/*" and "*/"). If I use font-lock methods, I can't have multi line comment
hilighting...

Is there a way to declare longer comment delimiters in the syntax table ??

thanks.