Re: ediff not finding diffs

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: ediff not finding diffs
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:44:16 -0600

Eric Pement wrote:

I'm having trouble getting ediff to properly compare two files. The
files aren't that large overall (20K each), but they do have very long
lines of up to 5,000 characters. There are differences in these files,
but ediff is displaying every line highlighted and not displaying the
contextual word changes.

| `*'
|      Forces refinement of the current difference region, which
|      highlights the exact words of disagreement among the buffers.
|      With a negative prefix argument, unhighlights the current region.
|
|      Forceful refinement may be needed if Ediff encounters a difference
|      region that is larger than `ediff-auto-refine-limit'.  In this
|      situation, Ediff doesn't do automatic refinement in order to
|      improve response time.  (Ediff doesn't auto-refine on dumb
|      terminals as well, but `*' still works there.  However, the only
|      useful piece of information it can tell you is whether or not the
|      difference regions disagree only in the amount of white space.)
|
|      This command is also useful when the highlighted fine differences
|      are no longer current, due to user editing.

From reading the docs, I found a variable ediff-auto-refine-limit,
which is the only variable I can see that can be numerically adapted.
Will changing this enable me to compare very long lines, or should I
look elsewhere?

What do you think?