Re: Build Environment in Xemacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build Environment in Xemacs
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:25:49 +0300

> From: jliang@sandia.gov (James Liang)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 5 Jun 2003 13:23:48 -0700
>
> I noticed that there is a compile command in Xemacs, but it seems to
> only let you execute shell commands.
>
> I know that MSVC has a way you can simply use it to run batch files
> and it will parse the output(or look at DOS return values or something) and
> provide a summary of number of errors and warnings encountered.

I think you are confusing the term ``shell commands'' with ``commands
built into the shell''.

What Emacs documentation really means by ``shell commands'' is that
you can invoke any command you can pass to a shell.  That includes
executable programs with and without optional switches and
command-line arguments, shell scripts (a.k.a. batch files), pipes of
commands, etc.  In short, anything you can type at the shell's prompt
will do.

If you have specific uses of batch files that don't worfk when invoked
from "M-x compile", please tell the specific details (what you typed,
what Emacs did, what messages it displayed, etc.).