Re: simple editor required

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:36:50 -0700

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

>     Harry> Sounds like you need to bone up on vi before you go much
>     Harry> further with your employment quests.  An employer expecting
>     Harry> you to know vi isn't asking a terrible lot after all.
>
> Why should the employer care what tool you use to get a particular job
> done with?  I mean unless your job is to create vi add-ons (or
> something actually targetting vi) what difference does it make how the
> text is generated?  If I ever found myself faced with such a
> brain-dead employer I'd have to move along.

Not unreasonable for an employer to expect competency with available
tools.  I spent my life in heavy construction.  I never had the
oportuninty to say ' I don't know how to use Miller welding machines.
I only use lincolns.  Could you get a lincoln for me even though you
already have millers?'

I wouldn't have lasted long..

>     Harry> Or expecting an employee to know about basic OS stuff like
>     Harry> setting the erase character in shell.. really isn't asking
>     Harry> a terrible lot either.

> Not sure how you draw a correlation between expecting a developer to
> know the basics of the OS he's developing on/for and dictating which
> editor he will use.  The former is both obvious and common sense while
> the latter is just silly.

You are giving the OP bad advice here.  Its only basic self protection
to know how to use the tools you work with.  Knowing how to set the
erase behavior in your shell or other minor adjustments.

I don't know what bee got up your bonnet but what your saying is
really a bit ridiculous.