Re: backward-delete-char-untabify-method

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: backward-delete-char-untabify-method
Date: 08 Jun 2003 16:46:15 -0400

> line 1
>   line 2
>     line 3

> when the cursor is at `A', if i press BACKSPACE, the cursor will go to
> the beginning of the line, but i would prefer it to go to the same
> indentation as "line 3", another BACKSPACE bringing me to "line 2" and
> requiring a third to bring me to the beginning of the line. i.e. I would
> prefer a `delete back one level of indentation' option.

Sounds like a cool idea.

> could somebody please tell me if is this possible?

Is that a troll ?

> and how to set it up (or where to look)?

I think you'll have to make it from scratch (and a few other ingredients).

(defun sam-backspace ()
  "Delete space backward to prev level of indentation."
  (interactive)
  (if (or (bolp) (save-excursion (skip-chars-backward " \t") (not (bolp))))
      ;; If we're not inside indentation, behave as usual.
      (call-interactively 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
    ;; We're inside indentation.
    (let* ((col (current-column))
           (destcol
            (save-excursion
              ;; Skip previous lines that are more indented than us.
              (while (and (not (bobp))
                          (zerop (forward-line -1))
                          (skip-chars-forward " \t")
                          (>= (current-column) col)))
              (current-column))))
      (delete-region (point) (progn (move-to-column destcol) (point))))))

-- Stefan