Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:23:57 GMT

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in
message 5l7k7uc8x1.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu">news:5l7k7uc8x1.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu...
> >> (global-set-key (kbd "<delete>") #'delete-char)
> > Unfortunately this command doesn't work.  I get the same old
>
> Am I talking to a wall or what ?
> Have you tried (define-key function-key-map [delete] "\C-d") ?

In the message you responded to I also showed that this didn't
work (or a slight variation, anyway).  I actually tried both
that and the slight variation yesterday, neither worked.  But just
to be sure, I tried the above again today, and still no effect.

I know that I am getting a DEL go through to emacs, because
emacs tells me so.  I know that emacs is binding DEL to
delete-backward-char, because emacs tells me so.

What I can't do is coax emacs into shifting the binding of DEL
from delete-backward-char to delete-char.

And I know the other commands that have been recommended
have been typed in correctly, because xemacs accepts them
and behaves as expected.  Unfortunately xemacs has different
problems, which means it isn't so simple to just use xemacs,
and I would ideally like the emacs I use to work as expected.

Actually, I have an idea.  Maybe I can hack the executable and
change the default from delete-backward-char to delete-char?

BFN.  Paul.