Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:51:21 GMT

"Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
84el1zcze6.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de">news:84el1zcze6.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de...
> "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:
>
> > The following work in xemacs, don't work in emacs...
> >
> > (global-set-key (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)
> > (global-set-key (kbd "DEL") (kbd "C-d"))
>
> What does it mean to not work?  Does Emacs crash?

No, it just has no effect.  The DEL key remains bound to
delete-backward-char and keeps trying to delete the previous
character.

No "error in init file", no crash, just completely ignored.

And last time I tried binding DEL to a different function,
e.g. find, it ignored that too, it isn't just the delete-char
function it doesn't like.  But I can retry that to be sure if
you think it would be worth a try?

BFN.  Paul.