emacs vs xhtml

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: emacs vs xhtml
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:57:38 GMT

Generally, I have a hook, to fill (word wrap) all html files at 80 cols.
There is one file, which I have overridden the fill, by

<!-- Turn off word-wrap for this file (without Emacs prompting to eval local vars)

Local Variables:
fill-column: 999
End:
-->

Where the char before the Local Variables line is a ^L form feed.

Unfortunately, such chars are illegal under x[ht]ml.

I want my file to validate correctly under xhtml strict.
I tried <pre> tags, amongst others.
Any suggestions?

BTW, part of the problem is that table rows don't indent nicely under
html helper mode.