minibuffer-message doesn't display in minibuffer

From: Matthew Calhoun
Subject: minibuffer-message doesn't display in minibuffer
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:47:32 -0700

Hello,

I'm using Emacs 21.1.1 on OS X, and I'm having trouble with minibuffer-message. Executing this function inserts the string argument into the current buffer instead of the minibuffer. If I execute:

(minibuffer-message "TEST")

in the scratch buffer, the message gets inserted at point in the scratch buffer, like this:

(minibuffer-message "TEST")TEST

instead of in the minibuffer. Am I doing something wrong or is Emacs doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Matt