problem with KOI8-U in emacs 21.3

From: Alex Lukin
Subject: problem with KOI8-U in emacs 21.3
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:43:05 +0300

Hi, All!

I have a problem with KOI8-U (Ukrainian) input in emacs 21.2 on ASPLinux 9
(RedHat 9). It works just fine with KOI8-R (Russian) but when i change
system locale to uk_UA.KOI8-U intput gets trashy.

There also was problem was with Russian and Ukraininan fonts before I
inserted next line in my .emacs:

 '(unibyte-display-via-language-environment t))

Could anyone point me what should be done to get it working?

BTW, it works fine on my FreeBSD box right out from the ports.
--
WBR, Alex Lukin,
RIPE NIC HDL: LEHA1-RIPE