Re: Gnus: mark-expirable vs. delete

From: Joe Casadonte
Subject: Re: Gnus: mark-expirable vs. delete
Date: 15 Jun 2003 11:48:00 -0400

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Johan Bockgård wrote:

> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
>
>> So the question is, can I do it both ways, mark some messages as
>> expirable and some as delete-it-now?
>
> You can delete them explicitly.
>
> ,----
> | B DEL runs the command gnus-summary-delete-article
> | [...]
> | Delete the N next (mail) articles.
> | [...]
> | If N is nil and articles have been marked with the process mark,
> | delete these instead.
> `----

Close, but not quite what I want.  And there's something strange with
it, too.

What I was looking for was something to mark the message as deletable,
which I can sort of do with the process mark, but that interferes with
anything else I may be doing with the process mark.  It's not as
nicely done as `gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable', IMHO.  I can live
with this, though, as I don't often use the process mark for other
things.

The strange part kills this option for me, however.  When I do
something like "C-u 200 RET" in the Group window (runs
`gnus-topic-select-group' or `gnus-group-select-group' with an
argument of 200), it seems to be counting those now-deleted articles
as part of the 200, and what I wind up with is some number less than
200 (e.g. 200 => 36, 450 => 257).  The whole point of this (for me)
was that when I went back looking for an old email, I didn't have to
sift through the cruft.  I'd have to repeat the request with ever
larger numbers until I found the article I wanted.

Now, as the articles are deleted, I do indeed not have to sift through
them, but I'm also not getting the number of articles I've asked for,
and so I have to repeat the request over and over again until I've
guessed what it is that will give me the article I'm looking for.
Pretty much the same thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Any other options, or is this odd behavior fixed in a later version of
Gnus (assuming it's a bug)?  I'm using the 5.8.8 version of Gnus, if
that helps.

Thanks!

--
Regards,