Re: simple editor required

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:32:12 +0200

"Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:

> Ok, it is the <delete> key I am pressing then (near <home>).
> But when Emacs is reporting DEL, it doesn't mean it just
> saw ascii 127, it means it saw a backspace (C-h).

Huh?  What does C-h l say after you hit whatever key it is that Emacs
reports as DEL?

(Is Emacs reporting DEL when you hit <delete>?)

It is possible that normal-erase-is-backspace has an influence, here,
and that it is set to the wrong value in your Emacs.  (The variable
normal-erase-is-backspace should not be set via setq, if you want to
use Lisp, use the function normal-erase-is-backspace-mode.)

> Incidentally, people are always referring to "press C-h then xxx",
> but of course I have remapped C-h to be backspace, I mean, C-h is
> backspace, and we all know what backspace does.  So I duly replace
> C-h with Esc x help.  It seems a very surprising key binding to me.

Whee.  Does <f1> work as a help key?

Maybe it's the normal-erase-is-backspace thing.  If not, then I'm
flabbergasted.
--
This line is not blank.