Re: Wordprocessor behaviour

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Wordprocessor behaviour
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:57:34 -0400

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> "Roodwriter@core.com" <Roodwriter@core.com> writes:
>
>> If you do tab in regular text mode EVERY line after that will be tabbed.
>> Frankly I find it easier to type things out in block form like this and
>> use a macro to convert the paragraphs. It's easier because I don't
>> accidentally hit the Caps Lock key and start eVERY PARAGRAPH LIKE THIS.
>
>     There is a mode, paragraph-indent-text-mode, that provides the
> paragraph format you see here.
>     A line starting with whitespace starts a new paragraph in this
> mode.  It used to be called just text-mode.
>
> Also, if you remove the whitespace from the second line manually,
> then you will get the behavior you want.

I am mystified. I must have tried this a year ago with my last upgrade since
I discovered I bound that command to a function key when I tried your
suggestion. But I must have had some problem--one I can't recall--since I
stopped using it.

But it seems to work just fine now. I don't know why.

That being said it appears using refill mode and paragraph-indent-text-mode
together may be a winner for writing text documents--except for the
drawback that you'll still get short lines, which not everyone will
consider a drawback. (You can macro that problem away, though, or use
longlines.)

Personally, I'll stick with the block paragraph method because of the LaTeX
issue, the fact that that's the style I use when I'm taking notes (it's
faster), the caps lock problem and, simply, it's now a habit with me.

But this may be the solution for many other people.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.