Re: Off-topic: Plain text, XML or LaTex?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Plain text, XML or LaTex?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:03:59 -0400

Mac wrote:

> I apologize for this off-topic posting. But I really like to know how
> you fellow Emacsien feal about his.
>
> I like plain text, and have for a long time used outline-mode to write
> both my own private notes as well as draft documents. I have also for
> a long time been thinking about moving to LaTex so that I also can
> produce my final documents in Emacs as well.
>
> Now I have an opportunity to move to XML instead. So I would
> appreciate your thoughts about this.
>
> How can I get up-to speed with writing XML inside Emacs? Is it worth
> it, or should I stick with plain-ol-text? Any pointers to tutorials,
> books etc is appreciated.
>
> Perhaps you have a completely different setup that you are willing to
> share with me?
>
> /mac
>
> One reason for liking plain text is it's portability (but so are eg
> .pdf these days). Another is version control, I'm a heavy user of cvs
> (pcl-cvs is *great*).

I've never used XML but I have used LaTeX. I'm a big fan of it. I not only
like its superior quality but the fact that the files are plain text.

File formats come and go but from my experience, plain text is forever.

LaTeX isn't for everyone, though. If what you're producing fits into the way
it's set up, it'll be one of the easiest ways to go. If what you're
producing doesn't fit in, you may be in for frustration. You can probably
make it work but not without a lot of effort. Unless you like solving
problems, or, like me, just fall in love with it.

For more opinions you could also post the question to comp.text.tex.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.