Re: How can I disable the display of ^M characters?

From: Barman Brakjoller
Subject: Re: How can I disable the display of ^M characters?
Date: 24 Jun 2003 01:39:00 -0700

> I often need to view log files which contain embedded control
> characters, and these buffers always contain a great number of ^M
> characters, which I find distracting.
>
> Can I get emacs to suppress the display of these characters?

Yes, I don't know if this is the correct way, but it seems to work for
me:

(standard-display-ascii ?\015 "")

and to turn it on again:

(standard-display-ascii ?\015 "^M") ;; Or whatever characters
                                    ;; you want to be seen

One time when I tried the first expression above and navigated to a
point ín the buffer where there were a ASCII 13 character, emacs
freezed, and I mean a major freeze. So test this a couple of times
before you try it in a critical situation with lot of unsaved buffers.