Re: Help for using emacs.

From: Harshdeep S Jawanda
Subject: Re: Help for using emacs.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:19:45 -0600

Charlie wrote:

1. User starts emacs and opens more than one file. What is way to
switch from one to another. The way that I am using now, which is not
the quickest way, is "Ctrl X", "Ctrl B" to show the files in the
buffer and then pick the file that I am looking for.

You can use C-x b (do you remember the notation :-)?) to switch between buffers. When you invoke this command, a default buffer (the most recently visited one) name will be visible. Hitting RET at this point will take you to that buffer. Alternatively, you can enter the name of the buffer you really want to switch to and then hit RET.

2. User open a huge text file, what is the easist way to go to the end
of the file, not just keep typing "Ctrl -v" or "M-x end-of-buffer",
that I have to type that many letters to make it happen. And also if I
want to remove a large chunk of it, I know that we can highlight that
chunk from the beginning to the end, then type "Ctrl K" to remove it.
How ?

Use M-> to go to the end and M-< to go to the beginning.

3. In a file to replace a keyword, I can do either "global replace" or
"replace it one after another". Can someone tells me how to do it in
the former way ?

By "global replace", do you mean non-interactive replace? You can do M-% searchTerm RET and when asked about whether to replace a particular occurence, hit "!" (the exclamation mark). This will automatically replace all occurence without asking you again.

Or you can simply do M-x replace-string.

--
Harshdeep S Jawanda