Re: GNU Emacs on GNU/Debian

From: Ulrich Herbst
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs on GNU/Debian
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:45:19 +0200

Andrei Maxim wrote:

> I've tried using the `-nw' switch to run it in a terminal window, but my
> greatest surprize was that the Alt (Meta) key was gone. If I pressed Alt-x
> I got an extra x in the buffer. In X, when I press Alt-`key' all I get is
> an annoying beep.

1. you can always use ESC - x when you need M-x (but I know, that's not
comfortable)

2. look with xev what keycode your ALT-Key gives.
If you get "ALT_L" than that is your problem (you need "META_L")
There are 2 ways to change that:
xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L"
or
add in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/<your language>
something like
    key <LALT> {        [       Alt_L,  Meta_L          ],
                        [       Alt_L,  Meta_L          ]       };

Bye
Uli