Re: GNU Emacs on GNU/Debian

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs on GNU/Debian
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:45:41 +0200

Andrei Maxim <acmax@xnet.ro> writes:

> I've tried using the `-nw' switch to run it in a terminal window, but my
> greatest surprize was that the Alt (Meta) key was gone. If I pressed Alt-x I
> got an extra x in the buffer. In X, when I press Alt-`key' all I get is an
> annoying beep.

I think that's because (a) your Alt key generates the Alt_L keysym
and (b) you also have a Meta_L key on your keyboard.  Type "xmodmap
-pm" to verify that Alt_L and Meta_L are indeed both present in the
output.

Let's say that Meta_L is mentioned in the mod2 line.  Now use xev to
find out the keycode of the corresponding key (it's the left flag key
I think).  Or just convert the hex number to decimal...  Let's say
that the number is 42.

Now put the following in ~/.Xmodmap:

clear mod2
keycode 42 = Super_L
add mod2 = Super_L

Maybe "xmodmap -pm" reported more than one key for the modifier.  In
that case, add another keycode line, like so:

keycode 4711 = Super_R

and also modify the add line to mention both keysyms:

add mod2 = Super_L Super_R

--
~/.signature