Re: GNU Emacs on GNU/Debian

From: Andrei Maxim
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs on GNU/Debian
Date: 27 Jun 2003 20:42:23 GMT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:56:45 GMT, Bill Wohler wrote:

> A couple of things: Make sure you're using 75 dpi fonts. If you're
> using the X Font Server, check that the 75 dpi fonts appear before the
> 100 dpi fonts in /etc/X11/fs/xfs.options (haven't run xfs in a long
> while so I could have remembered the wrong file). If you're not using
> the font server, check the order in /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 instead.
>
> The second thing you can do is use a smaller font. You can either use
> the command line, as in:
>
>     emacs -fn fixed
>
> or in .Xresources, as in:
>
>     emacs.font:                     *cour*medium-r*100*
>     emacs.menu.attributeFont:       *helv*medium-r*100*

Phew! You're a life saver! Now I can emacs in peace without scrolling
around!

I'm still looking into the X Font problem as I opened up
/etc/X11/fs/config and edited some stuff, but still nothing. I thought
it was something rotten in Emacs, but seems like Debian is way to
standardizes for the likes of me :^)

I really can't believe I like best Slackware! Unfortunatly, Slackware
lacks apt and building everything from source can be a hazardous task.

BTW, thanks Ulrich Herbs for the xmodmap line. That was just what I
needed!

--
Harder, better, faster, stronger... and I come on CDs too!